APM Screening Procedure
- Applicants must show two (2) pieces of identification. One must be picture I.D.
- Three (3) years of verifiable rental history from unbiased/unrelated sources.
- Applicant must provide us with the information necessary to contact past landlords. We reserve the right to deny a Rental Agreement if after making a good faith effort, we are unable to verify prior rental history.
- Allowances may be made for applicants who provide qualified co-signers or pay a higher security deposit.
- Additional security or a co-signer may be requested for no rental history or unverifiable rental history.
- Cosigners must have monthly income at least 3 times the rental amount and less than $100 ODB.
- Verifiable income must be 3 times the monthly rent. An exception is applied within the City of Portland, where the financially responsible applicant’s income must be 2 – 2.5 times the amount depending on if the rent is either below or above 80% of MFI as published by the Portland Housing Bureau.
- Applicants must provide us with information necessary to verify income and resources through employer contact, pay stubs, tax records, and/or bank statements.
- Income must be reasonably stable and not temporary.
- Allowances may be made for applicants who provide us with co-signers or additional security.
Credit and Criminal History
- A criminal history review is performed on each applicant through public records to determine whether applicant or any proposed resident or occupant has a “Conviction” as in charges pending as of the date of the application; a conviction; a guilty plea; or no contest plea, for any of the crimes as provided in ORS 90.303(3) such as drug-related crime; person crime; sex offense; crime involving financial fraud, including identity theft and forgery; or any other crime if the conduct for which applicant was convicted or is charged is of a nature that would adversely affect property of the landlord or a tenant or the health, safety or right of peaceful enjoyment of the premises of residents, the landlord or the landlord’s agent.
An applicant who has a Conviction in their past which would disqualify them under the criminal conviction criteria should submit any additional information to American Property Management along with the rental application for consideration of an individualized assessment so that it may be considered with the results received from the public records search and prior to a denial. Otherwise, the applicant may request the appeal process after denial.
- A credit check is performed on each applicant. An applicant with good credit a positive rental history, stable employment (6 months or more at their current job) and adequate income will pay a minimum $500.00 security deposit. Additional security is required based on the following criteria with respect to Outstanding Bad Debt (OBD) as reported by the Credit Bureau. OBD includes delinquent accounts 60 days, collection accounts, bankruptcy, repossession, liens, foreclosures, judgments, garnishments, write-offs.
- Description of Additional Security ($500 minimum plus stated figure)
- $100: No credit
- $100: OBD between $200 – $500
- $200: OBD between $500 – $1500
- $300: OBD between $1500 – $2500
- $400: Bankruptcy within last 2 years and no OBD since filing
- $400: Eviction 36-60 months ago
A rental agreement may be rejected for any of the following reasons:
- Unable to verify past or present rental history, stable income or employment, or identification.
- Negative information regarding past or present rental history, previous eviction within the last 3 years, payment performance, credit references, or criminal convictions if the crime indicates that applicant may 1) pose a threat to the health or safety of others, 2) cause physical damage to the property, or 3) involves the manufacture, distribution or possession of illegal drug substances, 4) any felony conviction within the last five years for drug related crimes, person crimes, sex offenses or financial fraud (including identity theft and forgery).
- Misrepresentation: Any false information provided by the applicant.
- Failure to complete the rental agreement in full.
- Five or more OBD accounts.
- OBD due to a prior landlord.
- OBD over $2500 (except medical debt, student loans or past due mortgages).